Identifying and supporting children and young people with autism
Training content/aim of training
Increasing numbers of children and young people (CYP) with autism (particularly those without identified learning disabilities) are reaching crisis point in local mainstream and specialist schools.
This has resulted in increasing numbers of exclusions, off-rolling, school refusal and home education, as well as out of area placements. Consequently, these CYP become isolated and can develop mental health issues, or these can worsen (e.g. depression, anxiety, eating disorders). This group of children and young people are at higher risk of inpatient admission to mental health hospital settings.
Recent NHSE Transforming Care data has shown that:
- The number of children in ATUs has doubled
- 65% of young people (under 18 years of age) have autism but no learning disability, and
- 55% of young people living in inpatient units (<18) are female.
Devised and delivered by an autism consultant and NHSE expert by experience, this training aims to address the following objectives:
- To understand the needs of this group of children and young people
- To understand what is going wrong for this group of children and young people, and some of the risks and pathways that can lead to crisis and admission to institutional care
- To equip IASS to support and advise children and young people with autism and their families appropriately
- To ensure IASS services and others understand the range of measures that could support children and young people with autism (or autism and learning disability) who might be at risk of potential admission to mental health settings
Who can attend?
Priority will be given to IASS staff but there will also be places for local authority and health professionals.
All delegates are required to complete the evaluation form before leaving the event.
Event location and times
This training starts at 10.00am sharp and finishes at 4.00pm so please arrive for registration in good time but no earlier than 9.30am onwards, as the training will start promptly. Please click the below link for full directions to venue
Map and Directions to venue
Please note: A working lunch WILL be provided
When making a booking please ensure that you are booking as the attendee as opposed to booking for someone else – this is very important as we need to capture the individual data for each attendee.
Please ensure that the correct email address (work email, not personal) is enterered when making your booking as you will receive an automated email to confirm your place. If the email spelling is incorrect, you will not receive confirmation of your place and important updates. If you do not receive a confirmation email within 10 minutes of completing your booking, please contact us immediately as your booking may not be complete which could result in you losing your place on the training. Please do check your spam folders before contacting us.
Places at this training are free. However - participants who do not turn up, OR cancel less than 2 working days before the course, will incur a charge of £100, unless there are extenuating circumstances.
To cancel your ticket, please make sure you are logged into eventbrite then go to:
- 'My Tickets'
- 'View your order'
- 'Cancel your order'
05 Mar 2019 at 10:00am
until 05 Mar 2019 at 4:00pm
Gatwick Hilton London